Recipe Type: side dish
- 1 head of romaine lettuce cut in half length ways
- 2 tbs butter
- ¼ cup green onions
- ¼ cup garlic scapes finely chopped
- 1½ cup stock
- 1 sprig of pasley chopped
- 1 sprig of oreango, remove leaves and slice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large skillet with a lid over medium heat.
- Add the garlic scapes and green onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Cook slowly until soft
- Trim off a thin slice of the dry stem end of the romaine and discard (including any discolored portions). Cut the romaine hearts in half lengthwise through the stem end.
- Add romaine, cut sides down (halves will fit very snugly in pan), and cook, turning once, until golden but not cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- add the hot stock and herbs
- Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and braise the hearts for 5 minutes. The hearts should be crisp-tender; continue cooking another several minutes if necessary
- Remove the romaine hearts with tongs to a platter
- Raise the heat to high. Boil until the juices have reduced by half.
- season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the lettuce halves on a platter and drizzle with the hot sauce. Serve immediately.